Sunday 10 November 2013

This Is Not a Waste of Time



If you're like me, you used to think moustaches were a complete waste of time let alone a waste of facial space.  Boy have times changed.  A decade ago, a few guys in Adelaide, Australia, got together to grow moustaches during the month of November and a global movement was born.  Chances are you can name a handful of friends and loved ones who are now Mo Bros all in the name of promoting men's health.  Oddly enough, this is what was on my mind when Kelly's book "I'm Really Not Wasting Time" came across my desk.

Sure my own moustache leaves a lot to be desired.  Some might even consider it a complete waste of time, but getting screened for prostate cancer (or any type of cancer for that matter) isn't.  My dad didn't think so, and they caught the cancer in time.  Not everyone is so lucky.

With that in mind, I made art to raise awareness.  By taking some tried and true slogans and campaigns, I used a combination of apps (gimp and snagit) and software (pages) to create this Movember collage.  Hopefully it might inspire others to make that appointment they've been meaning to make for a while.  Believe me, it's not a waste of time.   

1 comment:

  1. Cool art -- way cool way to remind folks of the importance for screening, whether for prostrate cancer, breast cancer, whatever. Our family knows that all too well. I wonder how you'd create a visual campaign for breast cancer. Probably not as easy as using a cool a mustache image!

    ReplyDelete