Wednesday 12 February 2014

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine.


Meaningful song into art...turned into a meaningful quilt for my eldest daughter. I have kept shirts, dresses, favorite worn shorts, patches and ladybug backpacks from my 2 daughter's growing up years. I've carted a bin for each of them from Oregon to Tunisia to Singapore. Last December, I hauled my oldest daughter's bin to BC where my folks live. While I was there, I put together this kaleidoscope quilt for my artist daughter. I pondered on it for ages before starting, trying to imagine how to put together all these memories and colors into an attractively arranged quilt, but then the kaleidoscope idea hit me. I filled in extra spaces with rich velvets and trimmed the edge with black velvet. There are little pockets of shirts and shorts in the quilt that my parents (Alix's grandparents) stuffed little love notes in before we gave it to her. My mom machine quilted the top with her amazing abilities. One corner reads, "You are my sunshine..." as that was a favorite song Jim and I sang to her as she fell to sleep when she was a baby. My mom and I sewed all her nicknames into the quilt. There are even some favorite sock pieces in it. I LOVED doing this project and can't wait to have time to work on Abby's...maybe next year after she leaves for college- boo hoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment